Thursday, March 6, 2008

Recipe: Potato Crusted Chicken

Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of this before my family gobbled it up as the idea for my starting this blog happened during dinner last night. My husband has always loved my cooking (one of the reasons he married me, he says) and is usually impressed with my ability to make "diet" food that everyone can enjoy.

If you like schnitzel (breaded cutlets) or "Shake and Bake Chicken", this one is for you:

* 2 pounds chicken drumsticks (what I used last night, but you can use any cut of chicken). Drumsticks are my children's favorite due to their portability.

Egg Wash:
* 1-2 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup water


Coating Mix:
In a bowl or in a plastic bag, mix together:
* 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes (I use Potato Buds from Betty Crocker since it is the only one available at the local grocery store that is pareve, neither "meaty" or "milky", therefore can be used at any meal)
* 1/4 cup rice flour (optional)
* paprika, garlic powder, pepper (1-1 1/2 teaspoons each, according to taste)
* salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 450F. Dip pieces of chicken into egg wash. Either roll the chicken over the coating mix or put into a plastic bag for shaking. [I have noticed that the "crust" is better if done in the bowl as one can press the coating into the meat.] Place in a oil-coated baking dish and put into the oven. Immediately, turn the oven down to 425F and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning pieces halfway through the baking process until golden brown. [Boneless pieces will take less time, so adjust accordingly.]

Passover adjustment: Use Kosher for Passover certified instant mashed potatoes.

Serve with rice or oven-baked French fries (yes, it's redundant, but I was cooking quick last night), and vegetables.

No comments: